Keep a Close Eye on Your Health
At Salt Lake Eye Associates, our team of experienced eye care professionals perform comprehensive detailed eye examinations on all of our patients. The examination is painless, non-invasive, and helps you protect your sight, while keeping your eyes in optimal condition. During an exam, Dr. Benator evaluates your eye condition, looking for common vision problems. Our Salt Lake City facility has a welcoming, comfortable atmosphere, where patients can feel at ease and comfortable, no matter what type of procedure they choose to undergo. There are a few steps you can take, in addition to having a detailed eye exam, to keep your eyes healthy and free of vision loss.
- Be aware of your family’s history – It is important to be conscious of your family’s eye health history. If anyone in your family has been diagnosed with an eye disease or condition that may be hereditary, Dr. Benator can provide you with preventative eye care treatments.
- Eat right – Eating a diet that is rich in fruits and veggies can help keep your eyes healthy.
- Maintain a healthy weight – Being overweight can boost your risk of getting diabetes or developing other diseases that result in damaging eye conditions.
- Protect your eyes – Salt Lake City, Utah is a beautiful place. The city sees quite a bit of sunlight all year round, which is why wearing protective eyewear helps to guard your eyes from harsh UV rays. By wearing protective eye wear like safety goggles, eye guards, and UV-rated sunglasses, a patient can shield his or her eyes from unsafe penetrating or harmful objects, including the sun.
- Rest your eyes – Dr. Benator recommends that patients who spend a lot of time staring at a computer or focusing on an object take at least 20 seconds every 20 minutes to stare in a different direction.
Some Common Medical Conditions Resulting in Vision Loss
Cataracts – The leading cause of blindness in the world, cataracts cloud your vision, make it difficult to see in the dark, and cause sensitivity to light. Most cataracts develop gradually and don’t bother your eyesight during the early phases. Fortunately, Salt Lake Eye Associates offers cataract surgery to eliminate the clouding of the normally clear lens of your eye. For more information, see: Cataract- A Closer Look
Glaucoma – Increasing the fluid pressure inside the eye, glaucoma can cause loss of peripheral vision and ultimately loss of sight. Glaucoma is a group of diseases that harm the eye’s optic nerve and can result in blindness. However, with early detection and treatment, you can shield your eyes against serious vision loss.
Diabetes – A complication of diabetes, diabetic retinopathy can lead to total loss of sight. Diabetic retinopathy is the most common diabetic disease and usually affects both eyes. Most people don’t notice changes in their vision during the early stages of the disease. Through laser surgery, Dr. Benator can slow the disease, but for now, there is not a treatment that can entirely cure it.
Protect Your Eyes
According to the National Eye Institute, your best defense against common eye conditions is regular checkups. At our Salt Lake City vision center, Dr. Benator educates her patients on precautions to take in protecting your eyes. Because eye diseases do not always present visible symptoms, early detection and treatment is a necessity to prevent vision loss. You should consult with an eye care professional if you:
- Are in pain
- Have double vision
- Inflamed eye
- Fluid coming from the eye
- Experience sudden changes in your vision
- Have dimmed or blurred vision
- Are seeing flashes of light or halos
Contact Us Today!
To learn more about LASIK, NearVision CK, cataract surgery, or other vision correction procedures, contact Dr. Rachel Benator at Salt Lake Eye Associates. We are proud to serve patients looking to keep their eyes healthy and improve their vision as they age.